Sunday, June 10, 2012

Feijoa and Ginger Jam

I am in the kitchen making Feijoa and Ginger Jam. This is my own recipe that I developed as I could not find one in any of my recipe books etc. Doing reading from some Victorian cook books and the Earnest Adams cookbook I realised that Feijoa's really have no setting agent due to them being low in acid (though apparently quite high in pectin). So using "pectin" or jam sugar but wont help this to set, what will is some acid. I use the juice of a lemon and a bit of tartaric acid for this;

Feijoa Jam

1 kg of Feijoa pulp - some years I use a potato peeler to peel them but this year I just scooped the flesh out using a spoon.
900g sugar
Juice and zest of 1 lemon
1/2  tsp tartaric acid
75g chopped up crystallised ginger

Clean your jars and lids and put them into the oven at 100oC to sterilise while the jam is being made.
Put all ingredients into a pot on very low heat and stir until the sugar is dissolved. Turn the heat up and have the jam at a rolling boil. Stir occasionally. When it has reached setting point (I put a dish in the freezer , once cold I put a tablespoon of jam on the dish. If you can run your finger through and the jam stays separated it is ready). Cooking time tends to be around 20 minutes. Put into jars and place lids on immediately.

This jam comes out more like an English conserve as I do not mash the fruit or cook it so long that it pulps.

Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by. I love that you took time out to comment on my blog.

A gorgeous break in Rarotonga

Woo hoo, A holiday with no kids for 11 days. Bliss, relaxing and warm! BTW it was an early 20th wedding anniversary present to ourselves....